Wednesday, February 5, 2014

It's...Cough...How Much?

Beaver Creek ski resort got 2-3 feet of snow last week, and I spent the week plowing my way through it with a dog-with-it's-head-out-the-window grin. It was blissful. Beaver Creek is a stunning ski resort with great runs, friendly people, and free cookies at the end of every day. What more could a girl ask for?

Well, I'll tell you...

I could ask for food that is worth what I pay for it. At Beaver Creek, if you want to purchase 2 Gatorades, 1 cookie, and 1 muffin, you will pay ~$20.00. Sound steep? Perhaps just a cup of tea then...at ~$5.00....if it's that expensive for a beverage and a baked good, what does a meal cost? Indentured servitude?

Want to know the real kicker? The food is mediocre at best. That muffin will likely be a pitiful, sticky, but somehow dry, excuse for a pastry, and you're running 50/50 odds on the quality of the cookie (trust me, I'm a cookie connoisseur).

Now, I get it. You're at the top of the mountain; it's expensive to get food up there, but if I'm paying $5.00 for a single muffin, then it should at least be Starbucks quality. But it's not. The quality of food at ski resorts is deplorable. You could get better pizza at Costco.

I can't tell you how disappointing it is to pay $20.00 for food that doesn't taste good. People pay $150 per day to ski at Beaver Creek, and will spend around $20 a head for lunch. Is it unreasonable to expect that for that kind of money the ski hill provide decent food?

I'm not talking 5-star dining here, but, goodness, you can have my first born child for a decent slice of pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment