Thursday, January 9, 2014

So Close....and Yet So Far....

I was at the gym earlier this week, minding my own business on the treadmill when Adonis suddenly walked into the room shining in an ethereal light of wonder. You know the type - stunning, tall, broad shoulders, black hair, blue eyes, strong jaw...

Err...sorry...what was I saying?

Oh, that's right...I proceeded to watch him stroll around the gym and pick heavy things up and then put them back down again - it was truly more impressive than it sounds - until I finished my run. Much to my delight, as I went to stretch, he came over to do sit ups. My heart soared. It must be fate!

Only, now that I was sitting right next to him, stretching, and trying not to stare, I was faced with one major conundrum - what on earth do I say? Fortunately, a peculiar man with a lisp wearing a hat seemed to be as struck by Adonis as I was, and so he started up a conversation.

Much to my surprise (and delight!) Adonis indicated that he was a runner.

~No way! I know how to run!~

Adonis then told the man that he runs marathons. Now mind you, this guy is built like a rugby player, and even Hat Man, who did not know how far a marathon was (26.2 mi. for those of you who are in the same boat), knew that Adonis was not built to be a runner. But Hat Man gave me my in, and I took it!

Adonis calmly replied that a marathon is 26.2 miles, to which I cleverly said "Too far." (what a line, right!?!) But that was all it took, and the conversation was off and running. Adonis and I chatted amiably about running and where he was from. Connecticut - apparently.

(Cool...I've never been to Connecticut, but I've been to New Hampshire...and they are practically the same thing!)

He said his family owned a grocery store for 70 years, but they recently sold it.

(Nice, an entrepreneurial spirit. He probably has a bachelors in marketing or business.)

And after his family sold their grocery store, he moved back out here, to Boulder. Intrigued, I then asked him what he was doing out here. To which he said, "I work at Sprouts. Grocery is in my blood."

The oh-my-god-you-could-be-the-man-of-my-dreams-train began to slow down dramatically. Telling a girl that "grocery" is in your blood is like saying your greatest dream in life is to run a convenience store. But okay - cool. I mean, to each his own, right? His grandfather and father both ran the store, he's been raised his whole life thinking he's going to run it, and it's no surprise that he feels like grocery is in his blood.

So I asked him what his degree was in, and he said...drum roll please....sociology. A noble profession indeed. My aunt got her masters in sociology, but for someone who plans to run a family business, getting a degree in sociology is like an English major who wants to become an engineer.

At this point I was completely baffled. What is a guy who has a degree in sociology doing at Sprouts? Well, I'll tell you what he's doing. He's stocking shelves. And the oh-my-god-you-could-be-the-man-of-my-dreams-train stopped abruptly.

He spent anywhere from $120,000-160,000 for a degree just to stock shelves.

Then he proceeded to tell me that he didn't like Trader Joe's...and do you know what happened to that train? It exploded. It exploded in a fiery ball of well-at-least-you're-pretty-to-look-at.


No comments:

Post a Comment